Six days a week, you’ll find artist Kate Jackson firing up a chainsaw and
attacking a piece of wood until it becomes a detailed sculpture of an
animal. She’s been chainsaw wood carving for about 18 years, after
discovering her calling while living in Washington State.
122 E main st,
Alpena, AR 72611
We are a husband and wife team that started making quilts in 1990 and have over 250 quilts in our shop. We are located 2 miles west of Harrison on HWY 62-65 North about a 20 drive from Branson, Mo. We make everything thing in the shop We carry a range of quilts made right in the shop by us.
8874 Hwy 62 West
Harrison, AR 72601
Yes, we do make our own quilts right here in our shop! We sew and quilt SIX days each and every week of the year!! Come out and watch us at work!!! We are the largest independently-owned and-operated fabric and quilt shop in Arkansas.
10872 Hwy 392 W
Harrison, AR 72601
MICHELE GRAVES PHOTOGRAPHY
I do wedding photography, engagement portraits, bridal portraits, senior pictures, and family photos. I also specialize in newborn, infant, toddler, and children's photos.
776 CR 811 Green Forest, Arkansas 72638
(870) 480-9732 - www.michelegravesphotography.com
Newt Lale has been a potter for almost 30 years. Each piece of pottery is handmade and unique with its own style. We have different designs and color themes to choose from.
22 CR 996
Alpena AR 72611
THE MOUNTAIN MEADOWS MASSACRE MONUMENT
The Mountain Meadows massacre was a series of attacks on the Baker–Fancher emigrant wagon train, at Mountain Meadows in southern Utah. The attacks culminated on September 11, 1857 with the mass slaughter of the emigrant party by Mormons (members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints or LDS Church) in the Iron County district of the Utah Territorial Militia and some local Native Americans.
The wagon train—composed almost entirely of families from Arkansas—was bound for California on a route that passed through the Utah Territory during a turbulent period later known as the Utah War. After arriving in Salt Lake City, the Baker–Fancher party made their way south, eventually stopping to rest at Mountain Meadows. While the emigrants were camped in the meadow, nearby militia leaders including Isaac C. Haight and John D. Lee made plans to attack the wagon train. Intending to give the appearance of Native American aggression, their plan was to arm some Southern Paiute Native Americans and persuade them to join with a larger party of militiamen—disguised as Native Americans—in an attack.
During the initial assault on the wagon train, the emigrants fought back and a five-day siege ensued. Eventually fear spread among the militia's leaders that some emigrants had caught sight of white men, and had probably discovered who their attackers really were. This resulted in an order by militia commander William H. Dame for the emigrants' annihilation. Running low on water and provisions, the emigrants allowed a party of militiamen to enter their camp, who assured them of their safety and escorted them out of their hasty fortification. After walking a distance from the camp, the militiamen, with the help of auxiliary forces hiding nearby, attacked the emigrants. Intending to leave no witnesses of complicity by Mormons in the attacks, and to prevent reprisals that would further complicate the Utah War, the perpetrators killed all the adults and older children (totaling about 120 men, women, and children). Seventeen children, all younger than seven, were spared.
Following the massacre the perpetrators hastily buried the victims, leaving their bodies vulnerable to wild animals and the climate. Local families took in the surviving children, and many of the victims' possessions were auctioned off. Investigations, temporarily interrupted by the American Civil War, resulted in nine indictments during 1874. Of the men indicted, only John D. Lee was tried in a court of law. After two trials in the Utah Territory, Lee was convicted by a jury and executed. Today historians attribute the massacre to a combination of factors including both war hysteria and strident Mormon teachings. Scholars still debate whether senior Mormon leadership, including Brigham Young, directly instigated the massacre or if responsibility lies with the local leaders of southern Utah. (Source: wikipedia.org)
YELL LODGE 64 &
Constructed in 1876, the Yell Masonic Lodge Hall occupies a prominent hilltop site in the once thriving community of Carrollton. The simple two story building served both as a meeting hall for the local Masons as well as a place for church activities. Throughout its history the building has served as a place for local citizens to gather. It has served as a community center, church, meeting hall for fraternal bodies, and as a site for political rallies.
The community of Carrollton in eastern Carroll County was settled circa 1833. Its first post office was established in 1834. At its full peak of prosperity, it had an academy, courthouse, jail, seven general stores, grist and flour mills, cotton gin, blacksmith shop, grade school, three livery barns, two apothecaries, three hostelries, two doctors, and a newspaper. Its decline began about 1869 after Boone County was formed. Shortly thereafter, the county seat was removed. Possibly the greatest cause of Carrollton’s demise was the location of the Saint Louis and North Arkansas Railroad a few miles away from the town.
Yell Lodge Number 64 was instituted at Carrollton on November 10, 1853. The first officers were J.F. Seaman, Worshipful Master; M. Holford, S.W. and A.A. Baker. The original lodge hall they constructed was destroyed by fire. It is said that the local Masons constructed the new lodge hall themselves.
The move of the county seat to Berryville in 1875 dealt a larger blow to the community of Carrollton than anyone had suspected. One can only assume that the Yell Lodge Masons were optimistic about the future of their town since they built their building one year following the move. Today, it stands as one of the few historic resources remaining in this once important community in northwest Arkansas.
The Old Auman Building - One of the most historic buildings in Alpena, most long-time residents have fond memories of shopping for "everything from groceries to flip-flops" in the old Auman general store. It was closed up more than 20 years ago, unable to compete with supermarkets and big box retail stores. The building was recently bought by the city, and under the leadership of Mayor Bobbie Bailey it has been restored and repurposed to house a museum and District Court facilities.
The Alpena Pass Pavilion is located westbound on Highway 412-62 between the welcome center and Flashmarket. The pavilion is across the highway from Alpena Chainsaw Art. There are several picnic tables, both covered and uncovered. There is no fee to use the picnic area. Also, there is not a reservation line, usage is first come, first served.